[lit-ideas] Re: Erratum

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2009 09:29:35 -0800

On Dec 18, 2009, at 2:33 AM, cblists@xxxxxxxx wrote:

Chris Bruce
still without a gentleman's gentleman

Count your blessings, old chum. Of gentlemen's personal gentlemen you may not yet have a sufficiency, but are you beset on all wotsits by fiancees who want you to read "Types of Ethical Theory"?

Checking that I'd got the title right, I found this:

http://jes.sagepub.com/cgi/pdf_extract/17/3/216?ck=nck

which contains the suggestion that some kinds of philosopher go around writing books simply in order to help the Florence Crayes of the world mold their Bertie Woosters. This we suspected. Possibly even now some lurkers on the list are reading this and exclaiming to themselves, "Crikey, they're on to me, tum tum, tiddely tea, and lemon"? Frightfully odd chaps, some of these philosophy blighters, but musical. That I'll grant you.

David Ritchie,
experiencing nor rain, nor snow, nor dead of night in
Portland, Oregon