[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 20:06:29 -0000

To an extent yes, but I think that the defnition of miltant matters. If, as I
believe it to be, the definition concerns the notion of extremism, then a
militant islamic is an islamist. If, however, it concerns the use or possession
of miltary capabilities, then a militant islamic need not be a religious
extremist.

If it is the miltary notion, and this is the understanding of western leaders,
then we're in real trouble. To take a few examples, both Pakistan and Indonesia
are islamic and have a military capability. Are they therefore militant
islamics and if so should they be considered targets of this notional war such
people.

Converesely, if indeed we (or Lawrence and his cohorts), are talking about
religious extremism when the term militant islamic is used, then Saddam -
however bad he was - could not be considered part of that group.

Of course, all this muttering on my part won't matter if Lawrence can clarify
the matter.

Simon

        Date: 1/22/2007 12:39:32 P.M. Central Standard Time
        From: sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
        To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        Sent on:

  Here's the quote in context:

  "I went all through this misunderstanding with Irene.  I said the Baathist
were Militant Islamics.  They are Militant and they are Islamics.  The threat
isn’t just from religious Militants.  Baathism was intended to achieve
Pan-Arabism, bringing all the Arab nations under one head.  It was begun by
Nassar who was assassinated.  Saddam liked the idea as well.  He was just as
much of a threat with his Pan-Arabism as Khomeini was with his religious
revolution.  They both wanted the same thing, and then they fought."

  Argument or not, it certainly sounds to me as though it was intended to be a
logical inference. I think what's needed is a definition of 'militant', does it
mean an indivdual or group with miltary capability, or does it mean an
individual or group with extreme views.

  My understanding of militant islamics has always been of the latter; an
islamic whose view of the religion is extreme. I doubt that Saddam's version of
Islam was at all extreme. I doubt it was very seroius at all. Conversely,
Lawrence's version of the term suggests to me that it concerns an individual or
a group with a military capability.

  Perhaps he could clarify.

  Simon