[lit-ideas] Re: The de-islamization of Europe

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 20:45:19 -0000

Ah Ha!

So Lawrence had absolutely no intention of making disparaging comments about
Islamic culture at all. He was merely being informative. It's all beginning to
make sense.

It's the Lit Ideas version of Fox News false questions. For example:

Europe happy with Sharia Law?
Muslims scum of the earth?

etc.

No, Lawrence save your two fingers, don't bother replying...
      From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

      > "Over the course of the nineteenth century, one

      > Christian people after another in southeastern Europe threw off the
shackles

      > of Ottoman rule without then being absorbed by a Great Power.

      Back up a few hundred years and ask the same question. After the Roman
empire, Europe went

      into decline from 600 AD to 1400 AD. In the same period, Arab world went
through a long

      period of significant achievements in the sciences, medicine, astronomy,
and mathematics.

      They were also important in philosophy, literature, and architecture.

      Lawrence probably thinks I'm being unamerican for not praising the
medieval Saxons.

      My point is that civilizations rise and fall. The Arab world did very
well for a while, and

      the modern Western world has been doing well for a while.

      However, one won't know this from Lawrence's posting, in which he decries
the Islamo

      military occupation of Europe that was finally thrown off with the
collapse of the Ottoman

      empire in the early 1900s.

      By the way, Spain threw out the Muslims in 1492. 500 years ago. The
Europeans waited another

      400 years. Slackers.

      yrs,

      andreas