[lit-ideas] The Serpent's Club

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 18:18:49 EST

In a message dated 3/13/2004 5:32:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Robert.Paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
There is no unsayable world. What cannot be spoken of lies outside the world.
If
someone wants to imagine this as in a different 'realm,' I suppose he may, so
long as he remembers that it is no longer Wittgenstein's views he is talking
about. In the Tractatus there is no noumenal world, and in the Investigations
the subject doesn't come up. One thing is right here: what is unsayable is
deeper than what is.
---
And I suppose _she_ may, too, so long as _she_ remembers...

This reminds me that Wittgenstein is cited by Horacio Oliveira, the [male]
character in Julio Cortazar's Hopscotch (and his philosopher friends at the
Club
of the Serpent) -- but then, as J. Sharkey writes in 'Hopscotch's
Hermeneutics', Gadamer is perhaps the only twentieth-century philosopher _not_
mentioned
by Oliveira.

(Well, -- and Grice).

Cheers,