[lit-ideas] Re: The Serpent's Club

  • From: Harold Hungerford <hh@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 13:28:43 -0800

There's a book by June Arnold called The Cook and the Carpenter
(Daughters Press, 1973) where the adept use of made-up pronouns leaves
it impossible throughout the book to decide what sort of plumbing any
of the characters has. For many readers, it highlights the anxiety over
male? female? that old-fashioned '70s survivors felt.

Why do we feel so anxious? Even quite small children ask if our dog is
a boy or a girl.

Harold Hungerford