[lit-ideas] Re: The Life and Death of Wittgenstein

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 08:23:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/16/2009 7:34:59 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rpaul@xxxxxxxx writes:
"[...] 'Tell them I've had a wonderful life!' By  'them' he
undoubtedly meant his close friends."

---

Couple of points:

--- I love the "!", rarely reported (e.g. wiki).

--- performative status of 'tell'. Distinguish between:

           "I've had a  wonderful life!"  (to Mrs Bevan)
           "Tell them  I've had a wonderful life!"

         analysis of  distinction:

         it could be a _lie_. The  content, "I've had a wonderful
         life!", is no longer  something he said (Grice: "Do not
         say what you believe to be  false"), but something that
         belongs in an imperative  -- I'm not taking "!" as
         imperatival, but 'tell  them'. It's not a lie to have Mrs
         Bevan tell Wittenstein's  close friends that he has
         had a wonderful life!". By  the time of the Philosophical
         Investigations, he  had distanced from the picture
         theory of meaning:  language is more a succession
         of games in a form of  life.

--- privileged access/incorrigibility. To pets with Wittgenstein,

               "I've had a wonderful life!"

     The "!" is not a mark of admiration or  disgust, but emphatic
     only. One wonders if Bevan reported it in print  _sic_ with the
     "!".

---- More importantly. What was Bevan to report. The final word
     is ambiguous. A true obedience to the 'command'  could be:

               BEVAN: Is that Rush?
               RHEES:   Yes.   [pause].   So it happened
               BEVAN: Yes. Last night. He passed peaceful.
                    He's had a wonderful life!

I would argue that

               BEVAN [to close friend]: He's had a _wonderful_ life!

is a good fulfillment of Wittgenstein's last wish.

-- GRAMMATICAL CORRECTION:

   _Had_ he *wished* a different report, he should have  said:

    "Tell them that I said I had a wonderful life!"

which sounds too sanctimonious, and Wittgenstein would not like that. In
spite of all the unhappy hagiography behind the 'master'.

Cheers,

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.