[lit-ideas] Re: The Life and Death of Wittgenstein

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:48:24 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2009 12:23:22 P.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Donal
Prof Of  Gravedigging
Dept of Old Wives Tales

----

Thinking of it, it's  odd that Socrates said that life is for the dying
when he spent most of his life  in the art of giving birth (maieutic).

If you think of it, the strict  equivalent of 'to die' (a pseudo-verb, as I
call it), is 'to be born' or as I  prefer 'to be conceived'.

Surely one can choose where to die, but it's  harder to choose where to be
born or even where to be conceived. To paraphrase  Wittgenstein:

"Being conceived is not an event of  life. We do not live to experience to
be conceived"

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.