[lit-ideas] Re: Saturday Poem

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 00:51:23 -0700

How Romantic, is where I begin, and how Spanish. Then, touches of "Un Chien Andalou"--the razor blade and the religious imagery, but I think we stop short of Dali, with a little guitar trill. Which is not a bad place to stop.

David Ritchie,
past his best in
Portland, Oregon
On May 16, 2009, at 11:51 PM, Eric Yost wrote:

>>"Thank you."

"Facile Worship and Exile"

Rumpled cretonne bedsheets wet with tears
are clichés tossed up like Himalayan ranges.
Sleepless nights. The razor blade.
Stains in the cup.  Bare bulb etching
tributaries on a bare wall. Dead flowers.
Waiting for the lover who never arrives.
Yearning as if completing a nine-to-five,
As if alive. The suicide. Dissection of the corpse.
The letter never mailed. Apologies. The heart
Is a candle delicately set.  Vanity of being adored.
Hot blood of guitars.  “The thrill shot through me.”
Decide. Decide. Decide.