[lit-ideas] Re: The Life and Death of Wittgenstein

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 20:15:42 EDT

In a message dated 5/14/2009 7:25:27 A.M.  Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
[Btw, W said afair  that "Death is not an event in life" - see entry in
Root's Phil Dict:-  "Death:

---

Another test you can try (to prove if a name  is vacuous or not) is to ask:

"Where is ...?  (now that we need him,  etc.)

e.g.

"Where is  Wittgenstein?"

The correct answer  is:

Nowhere; he is  dead.
Nowhere, he  died.

-----

Ditto for Strawson's example apres  Russell:

Where is the king of  France?

In the case of the king of France, Strawson notes in "On  referring", "it's
not exactly appropriate to say he died, when we know he was  decapitated,
rather"

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.