[lit-ideas] Re: The Life and Death of Wittgenstein

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 May 2009 12:05:45 EDT

In a message dated 5/15/2009 8:51:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Of course we can widen the idea of  "experience" further so that we do
"experience" growing hair, nails etc.

----

Quite an unfortunate example, if you ask me.

Surely  Wittgenstein _grew_ hair and nails _after he died_. We don't need
witty Ayer for  'after-life' experiences.

Vendler's point is clear: With some important verbs, like 'know' we cannot
say "I am knowing" ('know' is an _achievement_ verb). What kind of
important  'event' in the life would 'death' be when the corresponding verb,
die' can  _only_ be used in the present continous in the first person, and then
 fallaciously, "I am dying"? I must just as well believe in the _Cogito_.

Grice's example was the beheaded hen. Yes, she runs after you cut her head.
 But that's 'anaphoric'.

Ditto, a plant lives. Yet, when Natasha (Richardson) was _brain-dead_ (a
silly retronym if ever there was one) her husband could not wait _one_ minute
of  Aristotelian endurance. Surely the woman was, like a plant, alive. (For
 Aristotle, the seat of life is the lung and chest, the thyme, not the
brain).

JLS

**************Recession-proof vacation ideas.  Find free things to do in
the U.S.