[lit-ideas] Re: The Constant Gardener

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:49:03 +0100

"The book seems to me to be a love story with the drug conspiracy functioning as the plot device used to unfold the main character's love for his wife."

I agree to some extent about the conspiracy as a plot device, but if that was Le Carre's intention, he did a heck of a lot of research just for the purposes of constructing a device. His end note certainly gives a strong impression of his feelings. And if this is a love story, it's an unusual one, being retrospective for the most part. My own take is that the research came before the plot which was then fitted around the message Le Carre wanted to convey. I say this because the book, unlike most of Le Carre's others, was especially emotional rather than the more surgical treatment of his spy novels.

Question: Without giving away the specifics, does the ending match the book?

A simple yes/no, would be sufficient. My father wants to know before he sees the film because he says he wouldn't be able to cope if the ending was the same.

Simon