[lit-ideas] Re: The Constant Gardener

  • From: Paul Stone <pas@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 09:52:17 -0400

I?m not a fan of Ralph Fiennes and his character seemed far too passive during his wife?s (Rachel Weisz?s character?s) lifetime to pursue her murderers so relentless toward the end of the movie.

I felt exactly the same way. The movie is completely unbalanced in this respect. I sat there wondering, "WHY would he do this?" for the best part of 90 minutes.

Presumably he gained backbone because he felt guilty for suspecting his wife of infidelities, but she wasn?t one to care what people thought and did appear to be unfaithful; so he (I would think) could be excused for suspecting she might be ? he should at least have found reasons for forgiving himself for having done so.

Does anyone else have an opinion about this movie?

I thought it was the most over-rated movie of last year. I liked the film adaptations of [Le Carre's] "Russia House", "Tailor of Panama" and "TTSS", but this one was a bit boring and pointless to me. If LC WAS just making a point, then he shouldn't have tried to make a mystery out of it. The only mystery I was trying to solve is "why is Fiennes acting like this?"

paul

Paul Stone
pas@xxxxxxxx
Kingsville, ON, Canada