[lit-ideas] Re: The Constant Gardener

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2006 12:30:37 EDT

Try this one out -- _http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5121824.stm_
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5121824.stm)

Drug trial victim's 'hell' months

Ryan Wilson was the worst affected of the six  volunteers

_Drug victim interview _ (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/3681938.stm)

A  young trainee plumber left critically ill when a drug trial went
dramatically wrong has told the BBC of the "four months of hell" he has
endured.
Ryan Wilson, 20, from London, was the most seriously ill of the six men
whose heads and bodies swelled up following injections of TGN1412 in  March.
Mr Wilson, who has left hospital, spoke of his anger at the companies
involved, during an exclusive BBC interview.
He may lose all of his toes and parts of three fingers.

I'm not a weak person, and anyone who knows me  knows that, so I'm not going
to give up yet

Ryan Wilson

Mr Wilson is currently using a wheelchair, but will undergoing further
surgery in about a month's time.
He said: "I can walk small bits now, but that is only heel-bearing and  I
have to wear these 'funky' shoes - they do the job, but they are horrid
looking.

"Once I have surgery, it [walking] will depend on how long I take to do  it -
it could be a month, it just depends on determination."
Uncertain future
He adds that doctors are still unsure of the long-term damage that has  been
caused.
"There are a few parts of the immune system that are not right and they
don't know if they will get back to normal, level off or decrease even  more.
It
is hard to tell."
Mr Wilson entered the trial that took place at Northwick Park Hospital  to
pay for driving lessons.
He and five other volunteers were paid £2,000 to be given TGN1412,  created
by German pharmaceutical company TeGenero, by medical research  company
Parexel.

Mr Wilson will lose parts of some of his  fingers

It was hoped that the drug would treat conditions such as rheumatoid
arthritis and leukaemia, but the trial went disastrously wrong.
Mr Wilson, the worst affected, suffered heart, liver and kidney  failure,
pneumonia, and septicaemia.
"I wouldn't want anyone else to go through this - even people that I'd  call
enemies. It's undignified," he told BBC medical correspondent Fergus  Walsh.
He said he is angry with the drug companies involved and that he had  been
through "four months of hell".
Mr Wilson said he is unsure of his future.
He believes his career as a plumber is over: "I've got no power in my  hands
and you need all five digits when you are doing plumbing.
"That's out of the window and I don't know what I'm going to do now.
"Basically, that's all I've known since I was 15 - that's five years  that
have been taken away from me."
But despite these setbacks, he said remains optimistic about the  future.
"Every day I wake up is a bright day. It was nearly taken away from me.
"I'm not a weak person, and anyone who knows me knows that, so I'm not  going
to give up yet."

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: The Constant
Gardener  Date: 6/28/06 11:53:40 P.M. Central Daylight Time  From:
_aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I found the following link from The Nation.  It's not  just a movie fiction,
it's real and commonplace:

_http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050912/shah_
(http://www.thenation.com/doc/20050912/shah)