[lit-ideas] Re: The Constant Gardener

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 14:09:09 -0400

>>I felt exactly the same way. The movie is completely unbalanced in this respect. I sat there wondering, "WHY would he do this?" for the best part of 90 minutes.

My reaction too. I have no sympathy for people who give up without a fight, and ultimately just sit in the marshland waiting for their executioners.

It was like a version of _Invitation to a Beheading_ without the defiant and triumphant ending. Even Benvenuto Cellini's "I resolved to sell my life dearly" from his egomaniacal autobiography has a better ring.