[lit-ideas] Re: The Arab question

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 20:27:44 -0700

Julie wrote

Do not worry, Paul, Obama will be inaugurated in January. I'd be curious, though, to know what Robert seese as "the fix".

It was writ sarcastical, Julie. I said I knew it 'as an insider.' That I'm an insider with respect to anything is as improbable as someone's being 50% Caucasian, 43.75% Arab, and 6.25% African Negro—as a contributor to one of the sites your daughter was referred to alleges.

I'm not sure why you daughter wouldn't want to read how biologists view the concept of race. Richard Lewontin isn't just another blogger repeating anonymous 'opinions,' which are themselves demonstrably false; he's a noted geneticist. This isn't 'he said/she said.'

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-background-01-04.htm

This would also be worthwhile.

http://harvardmagazine.com/2008/05/race-in-a-genetic-world.html

Perhaps a more convincing source would be the US Census Bureau.

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/meta/long_68176.htm

Note that Arabs count as white by default, i.e, if the self-report 'Arab,' they're 'white.

'The racial classifications used by the Census Bureau adhere to the October 30,1997, Federal Register Notice entitled,"Revisions to the Standards for the Classification of Federal Data on Race and Ethnicity" issued by the Office of Management and Budget (OMB).

'White. A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa. It includes people who indicate their race as "White" or report entries such as Irish, German, Italian, Lebanese, Near Easterner, Arab, or Polish.'

Her teacher is shamefully cheating your daughter and her peers. Dpn't make me have to deputize Mike Geary and ride into town with a cease and desist order.

Robert Paul