[lit-ideas] Re: The Arab question

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 19:42:21 -0700

Julie wrote

Apparently the teacher had consulted and shared with the class websites such as these (btw, the teacher is a he, though it makes no difference):
http://forum.ebaumsworld.com/showthread.php?t=280163

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2008/02/obama-arab-amer.html

http://scaredmonkeys.net/index.php?topic=3120.0 (PLEASE read this one -- it's quite a trip)

I couldn't get the atlasshrugs website to open. Too much traffic, probably. That a teacher in a public school is recommending to his students websites like scaredmonkeys though is enough to scare me.

Your daughter may be tuned out on this issue for a while, but someday you might suggest that she take a look at

http://www.pbs.org/race/000_About/002_04-background-01-04.htm

On second thought, you might try to get him to read it and assign it to his classes on the grounds that you believe that all sides should be heard—just as evolution might in future be taught for its historical interest now that the Constitution has been amended to mandate the teaching of Creationism.

Robert Paul
27.114 percent sceptic, 53.817 percent non-Norwegian