[lit-ideas] Re: Sustained Incongruencies

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 14:50:36 -0700

>that book did influence me

ck: In the spirit of debasing self-disclosure and truthfulness vs.
truthiness, I  haven't read KH in book form for at least a decade, and I'm
not sure I ever read this one. Journal articles referring to KH, yes. For
the past few years I've been reading Rogers, rehashed and reformulated.
Since psychology is going "optimistic," though, I plan to join that
philanthropic do-badder interviewed on NPR yesterday--the one who is staging
rewritten, optimistic versions of operas, especially their endings. (Of _La
Boheme_: "They didn't have antidepressants back then.")

Like Melina Mercouri's happy hooker in "Never On Sunday," who remembered all
endings of Greek tragedies as "everybody goes to the beach," the idea of
"neurosis" makes me smile wistfully. Ah, for the leather couch...

Carol