[lit-ideas] Re: Sustained Incongruencies

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 23:38:49 -0400

I agree.  On the other hand, anyone who is shut down emotionally is
isolated, however they express their symptoms.  It's what I meant by saying
that the DSM is like pasta, the same dough in different shapes.   An NPD
could conceivably believe himself to be the world's best observer and
novelist.  Whether a book agent would agree is a something else.

> We agree that there's no clay tablet of inscribed
> rules for novels, but I think characters have to
> be imagined or they can't be re-created on the
> page. (We may be quibbling about semantics here.)
> Also there's the notion of plot, the conflict of
> competing desires, which have their best
> expression when more than one character embodies
> them. Finally, there's the notion of
> identification. If the reader doesn't have
> sympathy for the narrator or protagonist, if you
> don't really care about the struggles of a book's
> narrative center, the hero if you will, then why
> read? And narcissists--who dismiss others, don't
> listen, lack empathy--would seem to be at a
> disadvantage in bringing about audience
> identification.

But it wouldn't stop them from thinking they're writing The Great American
Novel.  NPD aside, I'm not sure that being empathic is necessarily what
makes a great writer.  Was Shakespeare empathic?  He was a keen observer
primarily, in my opinion, and he had the ability to look at a situation and
turn it into a story.  People like Michael Crichton can do that, read a
science story on cloning, read up on chaos, and come up with Jurassic Park.
His characters are flat, his sentences are prosaic, but he tells a good
story and people love him.  A little off the subject, I heard a writer
interviewed once and she said, with a relatively few exceptions, the vast
majority of writers are forgotten.  I guess aspiring to be one of the ones
who aren't forgotten might be a goal, or a mirage depending on how one
looks at it.