[lit-ideas] Re: Sustained Incongruencies

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2006 18:19:36 -0400

This is bothering me.  Further to my other post, it's a matter of degree.
So yes, lying to one's self (I'm a great painter but I have to work at
Wal-Mart) probably would qualify as false self.  False selfs are a self
protective thing. The false self in this case might be externally imposed
(my son the great painter, when the son feels like a sham).  It's very hard
to make absolute distinctions.  In a case such as this, I'd be inclined to
think the person's making excuses might be as much a form of submerged
anger as it is protective, more a boundary issue, a way to keep mother out
of his face.