[lit-ideas] Re: So, you think teachers have problems

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:51:18 -0400

Phil, Eric,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. You have articulated two hypotheses: (1)
that trust in institutions is a function of the state of the economy, up when
the economy is strong, down when the economy is weak and (2) that trust in
institutions is a function is a function of cultural homogeneity, up when a
society is culturally homogeneous, down when it is culturally heterogeneous.
Given that the two hypotheses are not mutually exclusive, it is possible to
envision four scenarios: strong economy, culturally homogeneous; weak economy,
culturally homogeneous; strong economy, culturally heterogeneous; weak economy,
culturally heterogeneous. Assuming that there is something to both hypotheses,
we could predict that the most trusted institutions will be found in culturally
homogeneous societies with strong economies and the least trusted institutions
in culturally heterogeneous societies with weak economies. The alternatives are
useful tests for the proposition that one of the original hypotheses is
stronger than the other. Do well have any evidence pro or con this analysis?

John

Sent from my iPad