[lit-ideas] Re: Marquand -- European views of the Ground Zero Mosque

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 10:22:57 -0500

When a government will not allow the free expression of ideas -- that's
Fascism.  Israel in this instance was fascistic.  Israel was criminal in its
flotila raid.  Chomsky was planning to speak to that issue just as Boaz
Okun, the legal commentator of the newspaper Yediot Aharonot, the most
widely read newspaper in Israel,
<http://www.ynetnews.com/articles/0,7340,L-3890586,00.html>wrote: “Put
together, [the exclusion of Chomsky and the Flotilla Raid] they may mark the
end of Israel as a law-abiding and freedom-loving state, or at least place a
large question mark over this notion.”  And for your information, Lawrence,
Chomsky was not trying to enter Israel, he was trying to  enter the West
Bank from Jordan.  The West Bank is not a part of Israel, they have no right
to refuse passage into or out of the West Bank.  Israel is an illegal
occupier, the fact that the world powers close their eyes to this
international crime does not legitimize it.

LAWRENCE: Most nations deny the entrance into their countries of
"undesirables."

MOI:  I'm well aware of that.  The U,S. often denies entry of foreign
artists or performers because they don't approve of something their country
has  said or done.  It's not only fascistic, it's stupid.

Mike Geary
Memphis

On Sun, Aug 15, 2010 at 12:35 AM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx