[lit-ideas] Re: So, you think teachers have problems

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2010 01:23:40 +0000 (GMT)

--- On Sat, 14/8/10, John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What is behind the growing distrust in institutions?

Note that banks are up and only 9 are down with 7 staying level or improving.
Distrust levels are thus lagging far behind the economic meltdownometer. But
patience is a virtue.

>1. Deconstructive, a.k.a., unconstructive, criticism?

Marginal. People with English degrees or who have minored in continental
philosophy make up only a small part of any Gallup poll since they tend to skew
its reliability:- some do not trust that the banks or military even exist, for
example, being instead merely mixed metaphors within a stratified subset of
public discourse.

>2. Free market fundamentalism's war of all against all?

This could be an explanation for almost anything if we knew what it meant.

>3. Your proposal?

Gallup surveys. (If they asked me my trust levels a second time, I'd suspect
something was up too).

Donal
Remembering that hindsight is a wonderful thing though no one predicted it
would be
London