[lit-ideas] Re: So GOP stands for?

  • From: Ursula Stange <Ursula@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 16:26:23 -0500

Socrates:
“…justice is to perform one’s own task, and not to meddle with that of others.” In _The Republic_

John Stuart Mill:
Mankind are greater gainers by suffering each other to live as seems good to themselves, than by compelling each to live as seems good to the rest.

The only freedom which deserves the name, is that of pursuing our own good in our own way, so long as we do not attempt to deprive others of theirs.
_On Liberty_ (1859)

Steve Chilson wrote:

I often wish people would just leave other people alone,
get on with their bloody lives personally and leave each to their own
moral dilemmas and how to resolve them.  But that wouldn't be very
realistic, would it then?