[lit-ideas] Re: So GOP stands for?

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 11:07:48 +0100

On 3. Nov 2006, at 21:03, Steve Chilson wrote:

... self-hating stupidity and ignorance ... etc.

I think you hit the - or at leat one very important - nail squarely on the head, Steve.

Could some list member put that phrase (i.e., 'self-hating stupidity and ignorance') into Latin?

Then perhaps we could use that to replace - or at least append to - the 'sapiens' in 'homo sapiens' as a caution to ourselves ....

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany

On 3. Nov 2006, at 21:03, Steve Chilson wrote:

It isn't difficult to get the impression that anti-gay rights people are
all repressed homosexuals themselves.  Maybe not to the level of Mr
Haggard, but those who have even little twinkles of homoerotic thoughts
might harbour the misguided idea that by protesting loudest they can
somehow shout down their inner homosexual voice. Or perhaps it's simply
self-hating stupidity and ignorance.  Who knows - Is it tragic or
comical that the loudest moralists often seem to be hiding some dirty
"immoral" truths about themselves?  Or perhaps they're right, these
failed moralists, perhaps they have just failed themselves and their
religions and all their shouting down was an effort to overcome their
own perceived failings/moral weakness and despite it, they simply
failed.  Or what about certain muftis wailing against women showing a
little leg or wanting to cover the beauty of women's faces because
they're simply too weak themselves to overcome their own perceived moral
weaknesses?  Or paedophilic priests whose popes won't even acknowledge
birth control? I often wish people would just leave other people alone,
get on with their bloody lives personally and leave each to their own
moral dilemmas and how to resolve them.  But that wouldn't be very
realistic, would it then?