[lit-ideas] Re: Rhetoric and reality on Iran

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 22:31:22 -0000

EY (quoting)> There are some cultures, like the Taliban and when
Khomeni
> ruled Iran, where chess in all its nuances is just too much
> for them, and they literally ban it.

After the 1979 Islamic revolution, the game was banned in
 public on the count of encouraging gambling, and players
 went underground with their boards and pieces. In 1988,
when Iran's spiritual leader, the late Ayatollah Khomeini,
rehabilitated the game, chess made a triumphant comeback,
spawning chess parks, chess palaces and budding chess champions.

Now, an aging clergyman has declared the ancient game forbidden
again,
<<<<<<<<<<<<

http://archive.salon.com/news/feature/2000/02/18/mullahs/ date
18/2/2000

Women's Championship in Iran
07.09.2004 For a while chess was forbidden, but now it is
blossoming in Iran, which now boasts two GMs and five IMs. But
especially the women seem to be profiting from the chess boom
For a while after the Revolution chess was forbidden, but 15
years ago Imam Khomeini deemed it legal, and two years later the
Iran Chess Federation was reinstated.
<<<<<<<<<<<

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=1891 (2004)

The Chess Federation of the Islamic Republic of Iran (2006)

http://www.iranchess.ir/indexen.htm

where chess in all its nuances is just too much
> for them, and they literally ban it. I think they understand
> intuitively that it's a sign of this complex, nuanced way of
> thinking.

as opposed to Iranian thinking?

Chess has a number of creation myths. Do you have a favourite?

The game, as we understand it, goes back to ancient Persia,

from the review of David Shenk's _The Immortal Game_
at
http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1163852289325&call_pageid=1105528093962&col=1105528093790

Judy Evans, Cardiff