[lit-ideas] Re: Rhetoric and reality on Iran

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 00:23:41 -0500

>>Chess has a number of creation myths. Do you have a favourite?

No. For me, "chess" started in the 19th century in Europe. I mean, Philidor and Ruy Lopez were seminal creatives, but it still wasn't real chess. The combination of methodical analysis, championship rules, and also "undiscovered country" (as yet unanalyzed positions and openings) is why I place chess so late. In fact, chess might actually be over now, since the undiscovered country is almost gone.

For purists trying to date a board game, I go with the Indian four-sided version as probably earliest.