[lit-ideas] Re: Rhetoric and reality on Iran

  • From: Omar Kusturica <omarkusto@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 21:29:44 -0800 (PST)

Nonsense. Most major openings were invented within a
hundred years after the change of rules in the
sixteenth century. (Before that, there were different
openings.)

As for methodical analysis, heavy theory, professional
approach etc. that is really the legacy the Soviet
Union. Maybe that was the place to live in, Eric.

O.K.

--- Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  >>Chess has a number of creation myths. Do you have
> favourite?
>
> No. For me, "chess" started in the 19th century in
> Europe. I
> mean, Philidor and Ruy Lopez were seminal creatives,
> but it
> still wasn't real chess. The combination of
> methodical
> analysis, championship rules, and also "undiscovered
>
> country" (as yet unanalyzed positions and openings)
> is why I
> place chess so late. In fact, chess might actually
> be over
> now, since the undiscovered country is almost gone.
>
> For purists trying to date a board game, I go with
> the
> Indian four-sided version as probably earliest.

> vacation on/off,
> digest on/off), visit
> www.andreas.com/faq-lit-ideas.html

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near 39yr lows.
$510k for $1,698/mo. Calculate new payment!
www.LowerMyBills.com/lre