[lit-ideas] Re: Rhetoric and reality on Iran

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 02:22:50 -0500

>>The theoretical knowledge that was
available to Lasker or Nimzovitch was probably
inferior to that possessed by an average FIDE master
today. (Or an average chess program.)

Yeah, that's what I meant by chess being over because the "undiscovered country" had vanished. Lasker could teach philosophy, then when the World Championship came round, he could hole up in a cabin for two weeks to prepare to defend his title.

Still, people are undeterred by theoretical exhaustion. The guy I beat to become college champion (David Eberly) stuck at the game and went on to become an IM. Whereas I haven't played a serious game for twenty-five years, and am probably the rankest patzer. Regardless, it's fun to look at the old tournament books...St. Petersburg 1909 or the Postwar International Playoff that followed Alekhine's death. Charming stuff.