[lit-ideas] Re: Poetry x 2 = Sabbatical

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 17:57:51 -0700

I was never very fond of Merwin, and this poem doesn't cause me to change my
mind. The ee cummings lack of punctuation doesn't help, although I don't
recall that cummings capitalized even the first word.  The poem is
light-weight, simplistic and not very interesting.

I like this one, also by Merwin, better:

The Morning

The first morning
I woke in surprise to your body
for I had been dreaming it
as I do

all around us white petals had never slept
leaves touched the early light
your breath warm as your skin on my neck
your eyes opening
smell of dew

Lawrence

  _____