[lit-ideas] Re: Paying taxes for months on end

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 17:26:49 -0400

Paul Stone wrote:

"What about privately run, governmentally regulated -- and I'm talking for
real here -- services."

The problem is that the market only accomodates those who contribute to it.
I think that Paul's suggestion would be worth considering but I would want
to have some government support, in some undetermined fashion, of charitable
organizations that would provide services for people who can't afford to
pay.  What if a dentist wanted to devote a day a week to those who couldn't
otherwise afford her services?  How could the government support this?  I
honestly think that many people would like to help those in need but find it
difficult to do so because the means are not easily accesible.  That is
where government could be of use.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON