[lit-ideas] Opinion needed

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 13:28:40 -0500

Okay -- you guys have to settle a disagreement between my husband and me.

I'm sure you all have seen the repeatedly run bit from a recent McCain rally
in which a gray-haired, red-shirted woman says she's afraid of Obama;  after
significant stuttering and stammering she comes up with the assertion that
she's scared of Obama because he's an Arab.  McCain shakes his head, says
"No Ma'am, he's a decent family man citizen"....

I've seen pundits from all over the place rplay that, refer to it and
seemingly examine it, evaluating to what extent McCain was trying to play
gentleman in the thug-fest.

What no one I've heard comment on is the peculiarity of the essential
exchange:  "Is he an Arab?"  "No, he's a decent man" -- which was my
immediate initial reaction when I first saw the rally exchange.

Jim says I'm way too cynical and that that interpretation hadn't even
occurred to him.

I maintain that it was obvious the first time I saw the mini-conversation.

What say ye?

--
Julie Krueger

Visit www.VoteForChange.com. Register to vote and help spread the word.