[lit-ideas] Re: One fewer god

  • From: Jack Spratt <dosflounder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 09:17:57 -0700 (PDT)

  MG
  >>We believe what we need to believe to get through life, at least that's
what I believe.  Whether that belief is what we were taught as children -- our
acculturation

  Religions depend upon believing in belief. Obscure rituals and quotations
form the backbone of belief in belief, not much thinking involved here. One
doesn't need to deal with all the hairy problems of god.

   Abraham's or Zoroaster did not arrive at their teachings about god entirely
from their tribal experience, they were original thinkers. God(s) come out of
man's head like Venus coming out of Zeus' but what they look like and how they
are accepted by those nearby becomes part of the culture.

  MG
  >>Truth is what gets you through the day.

  Zoroaster taught life is a struggle between Truth and Lies. Abraham when he
hears a voice telling him to kill his son cannot be sure (as Sartre says) that
it is the true voice of god, just his own mind or someone hiding behind a
nearby rock. Both show Truth as a slippery concept.

  MG
  >>We have the upper hand in all this.  It's time we started making God
believe what we believe.

  This had my mind revisit this excerpt from a work by R.A. Zimmerman:

  God said to Abraham kill me a son.
  Abe said; God you must be putting me on.

  God said you do what you want to do but the next time you see me coming you
better run
  Abe said where you want this killing done
  God said on Highway 61

  J.S.

  The one thing we lack is a handy utopia.

Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      JS:
  >>But if I am reading you correctly you are making Pascal's wager and
investing in the heavenly hedge fund.<<

  Well, no, not really.  Pascal was a wussy.  But Pascal's dictum about the
heart having reasons that reason doesn't know rings my bell.  We believe what
we need to believe to get through life, at least that's what I believe.
Whether that belief is what we were taught as children -- our acculturation
(don't you just love technical terminology?!  -- I'm not even sure that
'acculturation' is technical, but it should be.  I love the sound of it -- so
learned sounding) -- or some later adaptation of said acculturation -- it
doesn't matter.  What matters is that if belief in God gets us through the day,
then by gum, there is a god.  If not, then there isn't.  I think William James
said something akin to that or along those lines or maybe he didn't.  Truth is
what gets you through the day.  I believe what I believe with all my heart and
soul, but tomorrow might bring some dramatic tergiversation, but what of that?
If said tergiversation gets me through that day, then yea!  Then
 hurray!  I believe in God when I need to, I don't when I don't need to.  I
think the same holds true for God, he only believes in me when I believe in
him.  I don't know why no one wonders what God believes in.  That seems to me
to be much more important than what we believe.  After all, God depends on us
believing in him, far more than we depend on Him believing in us -- hence the
fear of atheists.  We keep God going.  But what we believe God believes
determines our lives.  See now, God has to believe in us just to be.  We effect
Him, He merely affects us.  Why then don't we call His hand on this?  Why don't
we just start believing that God believes what we want God to believe rather
than trying to figure out what God wants us to believe?  We have the upper hand
in all this.  It's time we started making God believe what we believe.  Unless,
of course, that's what we've been doing all along.

  Mike Geary
  Memphis