[lit-ideas] Re: One fewer god

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:43:42 -0400

The Gearster wrote: God will, I trust, right the wrongs done to me -- eventually.

As long as you continue a regimen of diet and exercise, you won't be adding to God's wrong-righting work load. -EY

-----

Weighty matter: Is religion making us fat?
BY CATHLEEN FALSANI SUN-TIMES COLUMNIST

Back in the decadent early 1980s, New Wave rocker Adam Ant mocked clean living in his maddeningly catchy song, "Goody Two Shoes."

"Don't drink, don't smoke, what do ya do?" Ant taunted.

A new Purdue University study may hold the answer to Ant's question.

If they don't drink and don't smoke, what do they do?

Eat, apparently.

"America is becoming known as a nation of gluttony and obesity, and churches are a feeding ground for this problem," says Ken Ferraro, a Purdue sociology professor who studied more than 2,500 adults over a span of eight years looking at the correlation between their religious behavior and their body mass index.

"If religious leaders and organizations neglect this issue, they will contribute to an epidemic that will cost the health-care system millions of dollars and reduce the quality of life for many parishioners," he says.

full story at: http://www.suntimes.com/output/falsani/cst-nws-fals25a.html/