[lit-ideas] Re: OLD JOKES

  • From: "carol kirschenbaum" <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:11:14 -0700

Geary: Not so sure I agree.

ck: You think I'm sure I agree with me? Just trying out some observations
here--which are of course accurate and brilliant, but that's beside the
point. I meant "generational" in the broadest cultural sense, not in an
ageist way. As a for instance, there's the phrase I just used--"a for
instance." It was part of my parent's generation--came from TV, probably, or
some borscht circuit comic, as did loads of colorful phrases that receive
blank looks from the youngerly. (Or they think we invented them--how clever
of us.)

I also mean our boomie generation's sluggish tech style. Most of us don't
text people throughout the day, I'd guess. That's just not part of our
culture--and we tend to view those younguns as having rather alien habits.
(They'll grow out of it...) Most of us don't download music--and we
have memory of LPs--a term a younger friend of mine hadn't heard at all.

Are there universals of physical humor, like the banana peel flop? I'll go
with that. But once language gets into the mix, humor has an expiration
date. Insider ethnic jokes turn to nostalgia once the older generation of
mamacitas dies off. Those grown kids nod to each other in recognition at
funny spanglish sayings.

Humor is the first part of nostalgia, on a timeline. Personally, I'd like to
find more to laugh about, for a second, than George Bush's antics.

CK

On 7/14/07, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 CK:
>>Humor, like vernacular language itself, is generational.

Not so sure I agree.  Certainly there's topical humor, which might be more
or less topical in a generational sense, but I wouldn't compare it to
generational slanguage, which often seems to function mostly as a kind of
identity marker.  Humor, as we all know, can be verbal, physical,
ironic, cruel, silly, disjunctive, contradictory, or nonsensical (and
probably in some other ways that I can't think at the moment), and we all
seem inclined to respond more or less so to particular types of humor, but I
would argue that young people are responding as all people do, to one of
those qualities.  And while it is true that a young person is less likely to
understand the travails of an old age, and consequently
(perhaps) not appreciate so fully the humor implicit in jokes about aging, I
don't see that as essentially generational in the sense that each generation
puts it's heroes on the pop charts.

Mike Geary
Memphis