[lit-ideas] Re: OLD JOKES

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:58:07 +0100

> Related, but how?

How do you think?  As to what sexist jokes actually are, what
 they manifest, Bernard Levin thought they (and more specifically,
jokes about feminism) were a manifestation of fear.

 If the body politic were a body are we talking about
> heart, lungs and liver or fingernails and skeleton

I get your clumsy repetition of

 less
> concerned about PC speech than such minor matters as reproductive
> rights, equal pay for equal work, that sort of thing.

and note it.  I note my 'related'.

 Was the fetishization of language
> anything more than a symptom of alienation in a world in which those
> who enjoy the life of the mind feel increasingly powerless

is a woman who's upset by men yelling 'get your knickers off' when she
stands to make a political speech alienated because she, an enjoyer of
the life of the mind, feels increasingly powerless?  And/or, are
you a complete and utter dickhead?

Judy Evans, Cardiff