[lit-ideas] Re: OLD JOKES

  • From: "carol kirschenbaum" <carolkir@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2007 15:10:47 -0700

Yo!
It took just one month to obliterate my dual status--old and a student. Now
that I don't have to pretend to share my sense of humor with students, am I
free to analyze humor, thereby destroying any sense of it? Yes, I am,
declares my inner (and outer) elder. Now we are one.

Humor, like vernacular language itself, is generational. Much of it today
depends on TV. Actually, that's true for my era, too (anyone here remember
riffing on "ooh! ooh!" from "Car 54"?)  Thing is, the 20s and 30s of today
have no memory of the boomer's jokey stuff. Our jokey memories extend back
only to our parents' 40s or so.

For a while, I kept up and volleyed back to the 20ish kids in their lingo.
Shock and awe. I fit in. But for how long could I keep up the ruse? Ach
phooey. Too much energy.

Carol

On 7/13/07, Mike Geary <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 *"Grumpy old men may not be able to help it, as age could affect their
sense of humour, scientists have found."*

"A study by Washington University in St Louis found older people find it
harder to understand jokes than students."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6897023.stm

Hrrrumph! (as Erin would say)

Mike Geary, wholly composed of 13 billion years old atomic particles in
Memphis, but everyday discovering new things under the sun, or maybe just
not remembering them from an hour ago.