[lit-ideas] Re: Nuclear Responsibility and Iran

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 20:17:20 -0500

John: when you madly race about hunting for instances when the
U.S. or Sweden ...

Eric: I did no "mad racing"; that's in your imagination of who I am, as is your belief that I claim any special authority. The articles were on this afternoon's Drudge Report page. Check it out. (The FBI 'MISUSED PATRIOT ACT' link is still there.) They seemed relevant to our discussion.

I do enjoy a good debate, however. Your comment that "we regard these hard-won advances as so precious. We know how easy it is for demagogues to become tyrants by playing on our basest instincts" is well said. I agree with your much of your criticism of Bush's initial response to 9/11 though I do not yet see reason to agree with your evaluation of the overall threat.

John: Compared to Hitler, Stalin, Mao, or the Japanese Empire, al-Qaeda is a piss-ant operation.

Eric: "Compared to Hitler, Stalin, Mao, or the Japanese Empire," al-Qaeda can do the unthinkable: set off multiple nuclear weapons in multiple US cities simultaneously. There's no MAD doctrine in place to deter them, unlike what Stalin and Mao knew they faced. Our "high-tech delivery systems" are useless against a stateless enemy. Pause for a minute and think what ten US cities being nuked simultaneously would mean ... then reconsider your evaluation. Unless the US leadership were decapitated, leaving some second-banana Christian fundamentalist in charge, it's unlikely the US response to such a strike would involve nuking the entire Muslim world.