[lit-ideas] Re: Nuclear Responsibility and Iran

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 13:06:06 -0500

Robert: I mention this because while then we had internment, now we have Guantanamo, 'special rendition,' and warrantless spying.

You don't accept this disconnect do you, Robert? Certainly one can be depressed by this state of affairs, but shouldn't one be depressed by the geopolitical and technological circumstances that make this needed and possible, rather than by a government willing to carry it out?.

Afghan battlefield detainees and al-Qaeda terrorists at Gitmo are not comparable to the Japanese-Americans detained by FDR.

Nor is special rendition anything new to the Bush Administration or even to the Clinton Administration.

Which leaves warrantless spying. If you mean warrantless phone taps, they have been conducted since the Transatlantic cable was put in place, before you were born. If you mean overall surveillance, also not a new thing, that has become subject to new judicial review. (Senate Bill 2453, amending the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.)