[lit-ideas] Re: Nuclear Responsibility and Iran

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 16:33:06 -0600

I'm not going down the list -- this is all so fruitless. Sometimes it's fun, but I'm all funned out. Just a couple of general points if you will. The abuses of human and civil and legal rights by this Administration are, I think, of a different order of magnitude than any previous Administration in their breadth and magnitude. This is what I think, but it's based of little more than impression I'll grant you. I'll grant you as well that certain of my "damages" are topped by some previous Administrations. Certainly FDR's imprisonment of U. S. citizens of Japanese descent was akin to Stalin's tactics except that we didn't put them to forced labor or starve them -- but we undoubtedly would have killed them had they tried to escape. Kennedy's Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba was just a much an international crime as Bush's invasion of Iraq. So were Reagan's proxy wars in Latin America. Johnson's throwing away hundreds and hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of billions of dollars in Vietnam is as grievous a waste of national treasure as Bush's adventure. And it derailed the War on Poverty which could have made America as decent a place to live as Scandinavia. And his willingness to throw away the lives of twenty-five thousand U. S. soldiers in a war that he did not even believe was winnable, and that Nixon was willing to throw away the lives of another twenty-five thousand American soldiers in a war that even he was desperately trying to extricate himself from and who apparently seriously considered using Nuclear weapons to do so -- these crimes are every bit as grievous as Bush's. And I screamed against them, just as I scream against Bush. It is people who shrug and say, oh well, that's the way it's always been that shackle humanity to barbarity. You don't have to be like them, Eric. The world doesn't have to be like them. And Nancy famously said: Just say No!

Mike Geary
Memphis