[lit-ideas] Re: Morlocks

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2008 14:33:58 -0700

On Sep 11, 2008, at 1:52 PM, wokshevs@xxxxxx wrote:

Tennis possesses its own moral and aesthetic order. Minor "ethical" (cultural)
considerations bear no import in the necessary march of Tennis to its
preordained fulfillment.

(But the Scots excel in other areas of life - like philosophy and divine libations. How do you think Hume or Smith ever managed to write a word?)

John Cleese: M'lud, I call the attention of the bench to exhibit M

http://www.ibras.dk/montypython/episode07.htm

which lit'ry morsel of discourse 'n' so on, contains many a slur upon that fine group of people who have to endure Scottish weather and midges, to wit, the Scots--Dennis Moore, Dennis Moore, riding through the glen--and their tennis playing abilities, which are normally nil, nada, nothing, void, completely crap, on account of the weather and the midges. This Murray fellow is clearly a bit of a mint. He has the stuff. So what if he didn't manage to win? At least he beat the Spaniard. Don't mention the Armada. I just did, but I think I got away with it.

What is a "morlock"? I'm not sure I've ever seen one at Harvard Sq. or anywhere
else.

A morlock is a figment of the imagination of Wells comma Herbert George, who was born in Bromley, which is near Beckenham, where David Bowie once lived. This is not at all near Cardiff, where people are said to be selling off their library's special collections, possibly hoping to buy off the morlocks with danegeld and thus avoiding fundraising sales of burned baked goods. By Alfred. I hope this clears matters up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/7593883.stm

Back to the Artists' Rifles, Paul Nash and so on.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon