[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Imagination

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 17:00:03 -0700

Donal wrote

I am unsure what is being denied in saying one doesn't believe in a moral continuum: I confess I am quite a believer in 'continuum' thinking and that most points can be, and even ought to be, located on some kind of spectrum (or even spectra) in order to put them in perspective: while I do not believe my dropping litter is an inevitable slippery slope to my manning the gas chambers, I do think we can construct a (long) continuum between one and the other. Admittedly, this might appear wrong by appearing to put littering on the same level as genocide, but it does not do that: the point of such a continuum (if there is much of a point) is not that everything is on the same level but that what is next to its neighbour is often not that far apart. Continuum thinking has its abuses (the 'slippery slope' fallacy being one) but it also has its uses (some day I may publish how these may be arranged in a continuum).

Upon reflection, I'm not sure what is meant by a 'moral continuum' either, even though I must have at one time thought I knew. (Argument to the best hypothesis.) I was perhaps thinking in a hazy way about the criminal justice system, in which offenses are more serious the more certain elements are present in an act, e.g. assault, assault with a deadly weapon, racially motivated assault; involuntary manslaughter, manslaughter; manslaughter during the commission of a crime, etc. If I did mean something like this, it was by way of suggesting that morality should not be considered as analogous to it. I didn't have in mind anything like the 'slippery slope' fallacy to which Donal calls our attention. It's clear that we agree that this is the wrong model, even though evangelical preachers often invoke it.

[Donal again] JLS's deprecatory remarks on the use of "imagination" are also questionable: for philosophers like Popper "imagination" is a most important requirement for understanding, in part because what is understood is not a "given" but a construction, and a theoretical one at that. Without "imagination", for example, how I can ever know that genocide is wrong by imagining what it is like to be a victim of it?

Robert than comments:
>If this were really true, then I could not honestly say that I know genocide to be wrong. It is as useless as a parent's saying to a child, 'How would you like it if Sally pulled /your/ hair?' The child has not been taught any sort of 'moral lesson in this drama. No more does my shuddering at descriptions and depictions of life in Auschwitz make that an important part of my knowing that to subject human beings to such a life is wrong, was wrong, and will be wrong, no matter what the casuist may try to say.>

This is somewhat unclear (at least to me), though I guess Robert to be saying that if it depended on 'imagination' to know that genocide was wrong (say by imagining what it was like to be a victim) then we could not honestly say that we know genocide to be wrong on this basis. Is this true?

My point was that I consider it to have been 'wrong' (a word that seems far too thin to characterize what was done in the Nazi concentration camps), even though I cannot begin to imagine what it would have been like to have lived and suffered in one of them. Granted, Donal (via Popper?) says that such a feat of the imagination is a sufficient condition for being able to condemn the killing of millions of human beings in such barbaric ways; yet, to repeat, I don't believe it is even a necessary condition. I can't do it by means of any thought experiment, and no more can I imagine what it would be like to be a twelve-year-old girl dying of cancer.

Bear in mind my suggestion was only that 'imagination' is (or may be) required here, not that it is, or could be, a sufficient condition for something being wrong (after all, there are many things we can imagine without [imagining] them being wrong). The argument about the role of 'imagination' I was putting forward is closer to the argument that recognising others as persons, or as 'other minds' even, is something not 'given' but something we acquire and which it requires a certain imagination to acquire - and we might say without recognising others as persons we can have no real sense of right and wrong. Of course, this touches on large concerns, some of which I might address in another thread on P's philosophy of mind by outlining his account of how we _become_ selves.

I agree that one must see others as being like us but doing so, it seems to me, doesn't require a special act of the imagination; we grow up (most of us) surrounded by human beings who, to us (or to me) form a natural class for which no explanation can be given. It isn't at all obvious that one must see others as persons, in some philosophical sense (for it's only philosophers who talk this way) in order to treat them as fellow humans, i.e., to see that others are like me in uncountably many ways and unlike me in uncountably many others. I have no word for what one does see when one comes to see others as persons, except for Kant's talk about autonomy and Sartre's talk about 'authenticity'—that is, such things are mentioned in discussing 'persons.' Yet to invoke them by way of explaining anything is to suggest that we find our way out of a swamp by following a will-o'-the-wisp.

Robert Paul

High Dudgeon
Oxon