[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Imagination

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 14:06:35 -0230

Interesting idea: that we can live the agonies and ecstasies of the moral life
without an awareness of morality itself. And this is supposedly a form of
"moral realism." It sounds more like a form of crass and question-begging
empiricism - i.e., morality is what we have when we recognize the
contradictions and dangers we experience in living the moral life. How do we
know that our reply to the imperative: "Get a (moral) life" - is indeed itself a
moral one

Kant, rightly I believe, refused to accept such empiricism, maintaining that
the
possibilities for moral judgement and experience themselves presuppose apriori
the self-understanding a rational being has of itself as a form of willing and
practical knowledge governed by moral law. Just as an individual is free for
moral deliberation only if she represents/understands herself to be free (i.e.,
as an agent capable of willing from duty), so is an individual capable of
living
a life of moral experience and judgement only on the condition that she
understand herself as a capacity/power to autonomously legislate her own
principles of reflection and action as universal laws. Once again, all
understanding of a world of problems, contradictions, etc, is
self-understanding. I think that's right.

Walter Okshevsky
MUN

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php