[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Imagination

  • From: "Walter C. Okshevsky" <wokshevs@xxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 01:29:24 -0230

I'm not clear on what it means to say that one "decides" that a moral maxim
must
be universal. This is not a case of judgement, by my lights.

Universality of willing is a necessary *presupposition* of rational agency, and
as such, of choice and judgement. I can judge that my maxim is a morally right
or permissible one but I do not choose or decide that moral rightness requires
accordance with universality - i.e., that all others in relevantly similar
circumstances could agree with my maxim (indeed, could themselves act on it and
legislate it for a moral order) and that my maxim must validly apply to all
rational agents in relevantly similar circumstances. Universality is
constitutive of morality and as such is not itself open to decision, judgement
or choice. That we can make judgements as to the rightness/wrongness of maxims
is only possible on the presupposition of such universality. Otherwise, we land
ourselves in the absurdity of believing that a maxim may be right for me but
wrong for you (or that a statement can be true for me but false for you.)

Consider as well the following examples which I think illustrate the same
point:

Judging that an argument is a bad one because it displays equivocation and
accepting that equivocation makes an argument a bad one.

Judging that this P has properties xyz under conditions C and accepting that
all
Ps will have properties xyz under conditions C if they are to be Ps.

Deciding or judging that one is free to act on the basis of one's choices and
recognizing that such freedom is a condition of possibility for any free
deciding and choosing.

In these cases the "acceptance" or "recognition" involved is made under the
compelling force of reason. There is no continuum here. In none of these cases
is acceptance open to choice, decision or judgement since the very rationality
of these acts presupposes that "acceptance." (That's why the better term here
is "recognition:" - since we are re-cognizing constitutive features of our own
rational natures, re-collecting a self-understanding necessary for practical
judgement and knowledge. What can I say? Some things are just transcendental.

Walter Okshevsky
MUN

http://www.mun.ca/cc/policies/electronic_communications_disclaimer_2011.php