[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Imagination

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Oct 2011 10:45:45 -0700

On Oct 8, 2011, at 9:51 AM, Lawrence Helm wrote:
> The author of the review, Gertrude Himmelfarb writes that she never
> encountered Trilling when she was an English major in the mid-1990s.  I on
> the other hand did encounter him as an English major in the mid-1950s.
I don't understand this.  Did she embark on an undergraduate set of courses
after she retired?

>   But Himmelfarb lapses into politics as well, drawing a connection between
> Trilling and Irving Kristol.

Himmelfarb "lapses" into politics?  Interesting turn of phrase.  She's
conservative, married to Kristol, "godfather" of neocons, with a son who's a
prominent conservative commentator.  She prefers political history to social
history.  She has had a long and important career as a historian of, for
example, Lord Acton, Victorian Virtues, Philosemitism in England from Cromwell
to Churchill.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon