[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Imagination [correction]

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2011 17:14:56 -0700

I wrote

My point was that I consider it to have been 'wrong' (a word that seems far too thin to characterize what was done in the Nazi concentration camps), even though I cannot begin to imagine what it would have been like to have lived and suffered in one of them. Granted, Donal (via Popper?) says that such a feat of the imagination is a sufficient condition for being able to condemn the killing of millions of human beings in such barbaric ways; yet, to repeat, I don't believe it is even a necessary condition. I can't do it by means of any thought experiment, and no more can I imagine what it would be like to be a twelve-year-old girl dying of cancer.

I was trying to rewrite a sentence and garbled it even more. Neither Donal nor Popper believes that such a feat of the imagination is a sufficient condition for....etc.

Apologies.

Robert Paul