[lit-ideas] Re: Moral Imagination [correction]

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2011 14:09:34 +0900

It seems to me that limiting imagination to "the ability to feel and
experience what *YOU* yourself would feel and experience" is a bit of a
stretch from more conventional meanings of "imagination." The word itself
contains its root, "image," and an image is more than feeling and
experience. It is, rather, a particular (typically visual) form by which
feeling and experience are evoked. As any product designer can tell you,
there's a lot more to imagination than the feelings and fuzzy notions of
experience for which the designer must imagine a specific form. To call an
iPad "magical" is not to imagine how the magic is produced.

That said, I am inclined to agree that empathy is a precondition for moral
judgment. I imagine a sociopath who observes another's suffering with keen
interest, perhaps even enjoyment, but lacks empathy. I would not be inclined
to call his  judgments and subsequent actions moral.

John

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN
Tel. +81-45-314-9324