[lit-ideas] Re: Mike and Schopenhauer

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:28:04 -0400

I think as regards my own pessimism, I don't think it's pessimism.  I think
it's realism.  In the history of the world nothing has fundamentally
changed except to get worse.  Ironically, I am an optimist because I think
humans are perfectible through vastly and universally improved parenting
combined with substituting nurturing for obliteration.  Unfortunately,
these concepts will never ever happen.  Therein lies the realism and the
pessimism.  Our short stay on this little planet is driven by corruption of
our own making and endorsement, and we fight to the death to have  it no
other way.

I'm curious. Would an optimist simply ignore these facts?  Ignore them and
they will go away?  Be in the world but not of it?  Ignorance might be
bliss in a non-war area,.but how does one do it a war area, which is a lot
of area, or when one has to be a child who lives through the terror and
atrocities found in most of the world?  Clearly optimism can only happen if
one doesn't look at the big picture.  Optimism is a very very local
condition.  Born of denial I think.