[lit-ideas] Re: Mike and Schopenhauer

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 22:49:47 +0900

On 5/23/06, Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 Optimism is a very very local
condition.  Born of denial I think.

Not always born of denial, I think. As Ruth and I walk past our guerilla garden this morning, we see all sorts of things to cheer us up, the rose in full bloom, the blue sage surging, the flourishing plumbago we transplanted this weekend. I remark once again online to someone depressed with the state of American politics that I graduated from a legally segregated high school, an institution now fully integrated, and my mother who went to nursing school never had the opportunity to do what my daughter has done, become a Navy pilot. Arriving at my office I open an envelope that tells me that the offshore hedge fund I just cashed in tripled in value in the last decade.

I am not Candide. I don't believe that this is the best of all
possible worlds. How could it be with all the ghastly things that go
on. Still, there are bits of progress to be noted, joys to be tasted
here and there. I smile and look forward to another day.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN

US CITIZEN ABROAD?