[lit-ideas] Re: Mike and Schopenhauer

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 15:56:44 -0500

EH:

Mike will now have to share with us what he thinks constitutes Schopenhauer's
pessimism. I think that in certain respects dear ol' Schopey can be quite an
optimist (else he wouldn't think it possible to abolish one's will, now would
he?)

What constitues his pessimism is his sheer pessimism about human life which is even deeper, danker and darker than anything Andy Amago ever dreamed possible. As to his optimism, well, yes, I guess if you could call his Thomas a Kempis asceticism 'optimism', then he was an optimist. But then you'd have to believe that a mortician's art saves us all from death. At least that's what I get from the first 10 paragraphs.

Mike Geary
Memphis