[lit-ideas] Re: Malt, Coffee & Chuck Taylor

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 16:17:54 -0230

I choose to respond to this message from John rather than his other one which is
not as philosophically interesting. Please see specific replies below ("W")

Quoting John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>:

> Walter,
>
> Thank you for a very interesting and informative response to my
> provocation. I salute you as a true philosopher.

W: You are very welcome. I try to do my best, mired as I am in pedantry and
naivete. I am honoured to be saluted by a true philosopher.

> I have a couple of
> questions to ask, but first I would like to solicit your opinion of
> the account of Kant's moral philosophy found at
>
> http://www.philosophypages.com/hy/5i.htm
>
> The practical fact of the matter is that the chances of my reading the
> Critique of Practical Reason any time soon are remote. I would,
> therefore, like a Kant scholar's opinion of whether the summary
> presented by this source is a reasonably good representation of what
> Kant had to say.

W: I would recommend Onora O'Neill, Roger Sullivan, Allen Wood, Barbara Herman
or Christine Korsgaard. My view, for what it's worth, is that the account is a
reasonably accurative introduction to Kant's moral theory. I pass on the Third
Critique, as I haven't ever managed to get through more than half of it. Roger
Sullivan has a wonderful introduction to Kant's moral theory, precisely so
entitled. (And it's in paperback. His other text on Kant's moral theory is far
more complex and technical, but also excellent, in this novice's estimation,
anyway.)

> One serious question that I will pose in passing is this. Like Kant,
> as described in the source above as well as your own remarks, you
> place a great weight on the intention of universality. Yet, could it
> not be said of all the great figures of what Karl Jasper calls the
> Axial Period (Confucius, Gautama, Socrates,Jesus, Mohammed...) that
> each fully intended his prescriptions to be universal, applying to
> everyone everywhere whatever the circumstance? Which is how each
> became the inspiration for transcendental movements, called
> transcendental precisely because they refused limitation to any
> particular tribe or place? But when push comes to shove, the moral
> frameworks they envisioned differ radically?

W: The intention to universalize a maxim is not equivalent to a maxim being
universalizable. Whether a case of the former is a case of the latter is a
moral (philosophical) question. Why, or how it is that, some people who intend
their maxims or doctrines to also hold as moral laws manage to inspire social
and historical movements is an empirical question. I would ask a historian,
sociologist or a psychologist.

Walter C. Okshevsky
Memorial University